Friday 12 April 2019

Athirapilly Waterfalls - The Queen of Falls


Being a newly married couple can be very tough. For instance, look at us, we were the best example of the aforementioned fact. I and my husband had been married for a month and hadn't got a single opportunity to spend some quality time with each other. We are from the North, and our marriage includes a lot of rituals. Though the procedures are interesting, it can get tedious after a while. We got caught in the infinite number of post-marriage functions and had to keep postponing our honeymoon trip several times. We had been planning for this honeymoon trip for a while, in fact, even before marriage. Though we are very different from each other, I and my husband have one thing in common, our fascination for 'God's own Country', Kerala. Well, finally our patience did bear fruits. We got the opportunity to fly down to Kerala a month later. One of our friends had suggested Lelagoon Holidays since they provide quality services at a very reasonable price. We went through their website where they had mentioned in detail all about the Kerala tour packages from Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and other cities along with their prices. We booked a package which involved more of sightseeing expeditions than the tourist activities. At this juncture, I can't help but applaud the services of Le Lagoon Holidays because they gifted us with a honeymoon holiday that will stay in the book of our memories for an entire lifetime. 


After a night of hurried packing, I and my husband ran to catch the flight which was to leave for Kerala at sharp 3:00 in the morning. Luckily, we reached just in time. We were all smiles as we got into the flight because we were just hours apart from reaching our dream destination, the land of greenery, Kerala. A while after the flight took off, I drowned into an hour of beautiful dreams. The announcement from the cabin woke me up and as I looked out of the window I saw a sight that was beyond beautiful, a sight that described beauty in the best possible way. A fascinating azure sky overlooking a ravishing swath of land that was embellished by greenery. I couldn't take my eyes off such a vista and at that very moment, I knew Kerala was going to gift us with a honeymoon that we will cherish forever. Indeed, the land of Kerala was much more than what the pictures showed. The land is a true enchantress for I had already been cast by its spell even before I landed on its ground.

After the procedures at the Cochin International Airport, I and my husband got out and luckily we didn't take much time to spot our representatives. After exchanging a few greetings, we were guided to our vehicle by Mr. Ram (who was our tour guide and a representative from Lelagoon Holidays). He said he would drop us at our resort in Athirapilly first, where we can rest for a while and refresh ourselves. The drive along long winding routes was fantastic! As you drive up the slope you are able to witness beauty in its finest form. The road is flanked by luscious green forests on both sides. I never knew green had so many different shades until I visited this tiny state! The drive by itself was truly an experience! Let me suggest you something. While travelling through such beautiful regions in Kerala, plug in your earphone and play the most melodious track in your music list. It is such a blissful experience, you must try it out. I did and I just got immersed in the harmony of Nature and music. Nothing can beat this awesome combination. You just forget all your worries and indulge in this beautiful moment that Nature offers you. Well, I could go on and on. Yes, and we finally reached our resort in Athirapilly. The resort was built in a traditional Malabari Style which aroused my curiosity. I had seen them on the internet several times. I always wanted to know more about the architectural styles of Kerala and I thought of enquiring more about it to the staffs of the resort but postponed it due to lack of time. We checked in to our comfortable suite, rested for a while and went into the traditional restaurant to have a scrumptious Keralite breakfast. The Chef served us piping hot coffee and a plate of freshly made dosas along with an assortment of chutneys. The coffee was perfect, and one sip of it from the steel tumbler simply rejuvenates your whole self. And I have no words to describe the dosas. The rice crepe' was fluffy on the inside and crispy towards the edges! Tear off a piece consisting of both the crispy edge and the softer inner side, dip it in your sambar and pop it in your mouth and indulge in a new tasting experience of pure joy. I have never tasted anything so unique and tasty in my life. I could go on and on about the yummy dosas. But I think it's time to put an end to my 'dosa' rambling. 



After having our breakfast we were driven to Athirapilly Waterfalls. The driver stopped the car in front of the main gate, which was surrounded by little stalls. Some of the vendors where selling tender coconut to tired travellers, there were souvenir shops and even hotels. But something else caught my attention; little langurs! There were monkeys all around, on the gate, near the gate, behind the gate, on the roofs of the stalls, next to the vendors and I even saw some of them inside a souvenir shop! Here's something to be kept in mind while travelling to Athirapilly. Whatever you do, do not carry food with you. You might not be able to see it again, let alone taste it. As I was entering the gate, I saw a group of mischevious monkeys snatching away packets of food from travellers and that is not a very good experience. The moment you try to resist, you might end up being hurt.
Athirapilly had a lot in store for me. I thought the waterfall was situated somewhat near the entrance, maybe a few minutes walk, but I was wrong. Our guide said we had to trek for around 30 minutes to reach the waterfalls. That was quite unexpected!  See, I am not a big fan of trekking and this news came like a thunderbolt from the clear sky, though my husband seemed to be pleased. He loves some adventure during his journey. We had to trek a good 2 miles through rocky terrain to reach the top. I was quite exasperated then. Panting for breath, I looked up to find one of the most wondrous sights that I have ever seen in my life. The Athirapilly Waterfalls lay there in front of in all its majesty and beauty! The glorious waterfalls jutting out from the huge rocky ledge was a sight beyond comprehension and all the fatigue just got washed away in the glory of the waterfalls. I stood there for hours on end taking in the gorgeous sight. The azure sky, the majestic gush of water spraying droplets on the lush green surroundings...  I run out of words when it comes to expressing the stunning beauty of Athirapilly Waterfalls. The Almighty has created such divine places for us to explore. Athirapilly is a testimony to that fact. I would suggest all of you especially couples to include Athirapilly in your Kerala honeymoon package or else you would be missing out on a great deal. True beauty is waiting to be explored in the lap of Nature; in God's own Country, Kerala.

















No comments:

Post a Comment